There are so many car myths that consumers actually believe, I thought it was time to do a little debunking! Here is what you need to know when it comes to fuel economy!
Better Fuel Economy –
- Your car uses less gas with the air conditioner on versus opening the windows. This is not true. Driving with the windows down gives you better gas mileage.
- Pumping gas in the morning gives you more fuel for your money. Not true! Fuel is stored underground in tanks so the idea that you get more for less as cooler gasoline is denser does not hold true. Underground tanks keep the temperature of gas steady.
- Small cars get better mileage. Today’s cars are designed to have peak fuel efficiency so this is no longer true!
- You use more fuel starting your car than letting it idle. This is not true! Modern fuel-injected engines start efficiently whereas idling can use a quarter to a half gallon of fuel per hour so letting it idle is not efficient. Of course, when sitting in traffic for short periods we don’t recommend turning your car off each time.
- You should let your car warm up before driving. Not true! It warms up faster and more efficiently as it is being driven.
- The older your car, the less fuel efficient it becomes. This is false! A well-maintained vehicle stays fuel efficient as it ages.
- Aftermarket additives increases fuel economy. Save your money…this is not true!
- Using premium gas equals better gas mileage. Again…save your money. This isnot true!
Hopefully you find these “debunking’s” useful!