Those of us who live in Phoenix obviously can take the heat because we know to drink our fluids and not become overheated. Our cars can get overheated as well so we have to learn to pay attention to their needs (and it sure beats sitting in the heat waiting for a tow on a hot Phoenix day!). At Fairway Auto Repair it isn’t an unusual sight to see an overheated vehicle being towed into our shop. Before the tow truck picked it up it had been sitting alongside the road with steam pouring from underneath the hood!
If your car starts to overheat, here are a few things to keep in mind:
- Pull over as soon as possible so the engine can cool down.
- Open the hood to allow the steam to disperse.
- DO NOT open the radiator cap until the engine is cool or you will get a steam burn!
- Check the coolant tank and fill if needed if you happen to have coolant and water with you and you feel confident that you are doing it correctly. Some cars don’t have a tank but just the radiator. If this is the case allow the radiator to completely cool before you check the coolant level.
- If you were not able to refill the reservoir it is best to get your vehicle towed. If you feel you must drive it or are close by a repair shop, be sure to drive with the air conditioning turned off and the heater turned on full blast. This takes the heat away from the engine. Do not attempt to drive it in stop and go traffic, however.
The best way to handle this situation is not to let it happen. Preventive maintenance is always so much better than the hassle of repair. To find out more about overheating vehicles, visit our website at www.fairwayautorepair.com. Fairway Auto Repair is always here to help you and keep your vehicle in great shape!