Many people are not anxious to trade in their car for a “greener” model just yet. They do want to be economical and ecological and you can be! Here is what you need to do!
- Use the proper grade of gasoline as indicated in your owner’s manual. If your vehicle calls for regular, you won’t benefit by paying for premium gas.
- When it is time to fill up, really fill up. Putting in so much today and so much tomorrow costs more.
- Do not top off your gas.
- Make sure your gas cap is properly closed.
- Fill up when you get to ¼ of fuel left to lengthen the life of your fuel pump. Running on empty can destroy the pump!
- Drive the speed limit. If you drive at 65 mph instead of 75 mph you would save 13%. If you drive 55 mph you can save 25%! Every five miles over 65 mph costs you about 24 cents per gallon.
- Idling just uses gas needlessly and hurts the environment.
- Remove excess weight from your trunk and luggage rack! Extra weight costs more in fuel.
- Keep your car properly maintained. For example, dirty air filters and improperly inflated tires can cost you 13% more at the pump.
- Jack rabbit starts and braking on a dime also use excessive amounts of fuel.
- Know where you are going. Use a GPS to avoid having to back track and drive around aimlessly.
- Maintain a safe following distance so you don’t have to keep braking and accelerating.
- Take off slowly from a full stop.
- Park in the shade when it is hot outside. It uses more fuel to cool down a hot interior when you put on the air conditioning. It also costs more to drive with the windows down due to wind resistance.
- Inoperative 02 sensors (oxygen sensors) need to be fixed as soon as possible. When an 02 sensor gets lazy, fuel efficiency goes down.
- If your check engine light is illuminated it means a component has failed. Gas mileage is hurt by failed components.
- Worn spark plugs, ignition wires, distributor caps and rotor buttons can cause a dramatic decrease in gas mileage.
- A carbon clogged fuel system and valves cause poor fuel economy and a sluggish engine.
Keep in mind that when you save fuel, you are helping the environment! To get your vehicle where it needs to be call Fairway Auto Repair today and we’ll make sure your car is on the cutting edge economically and ecologically.